Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Women in Media

Yesterday in class we were asked how we could change the image of women in media. My initial answer was that it was the woman's responsibility. I figured if women continue to take off their clothes and become sexual objects for men in magazines or videos it would always be a problem. The simple solution would be for women to take control of their own body and say no to these kinds of portrayals. Right?

Wrong. After listening to Dr. Tindall discuss how the power must be changed it all became much clearer to me. Of course women need to take some responsibility for their bodies but shes right, why am I trying to blame the victim? The change has to come from the top before it will truly make a difference. I don't care who is at the top of these companies producing these images men or women, it needs to stop. Young boys will grow up into men who treat and view women this way if that's all they see on MTV or BET. I'm not saying all men are responsible for this but I hope that any of you guys in class who decide to have children or already have children teach them to love and RESPECT women for who they are not as sexual objects.




In Google I typed women in media in the search bar and this is the picture that popped up...real nice. She is being dominated and objectified by not only one man but 5. These sorts of images not only make women look bad but they give little girls false hopes on having the kind of body that that woman has in the picture. I could starve myself for a month and not have those legs.



This is the other ad that struck me as odd. There is a man and a woman on the beach, the woman is wearing next to nothing and the man is fully clothed. Not only that but the positioning of the man is domineering. This whole ad rubs me the wrong way and totally makes me not want to buy the product (luckily I'm a Grey Goose kind of girl).

Overall the discussion of how women are portrayed in media has really opened up my eyes to what the images are really saying. Before taking this class I might have looked at the first ad as high fashion and the second as sexy but now I've changed my opinion of them.

3 comments:

  1. I love Grey Goose. Or Absolut. Skyy is gross. [and I don't like the picture either.]

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the last several semesters, I always cringe when I see this image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I struggle with the idea of objectifying women. Being a female, I feel that these images are supposed to bring some sort of anger or disapproval to me, but they never really do. I get uneasy about advertising when it shows unhealthily thin girls on the runway or body altering processes, because these send out an unrealistic image about women's bodies. Walking down the street most women don't look like women in the magazines, and thank god for that because I would never leave my apartment. So while one way women are objectified bothers me, some other ways do not. I know that women are used as "sex objects" like they are in the ads you posted. I never really think of it one way or the other. When I flip through a magazine I would more likely think about how much I want the girls heels in the top photo, than to automatically recognize it looks like a...well I am not sure how I can put that in a blog for class.

    I sometimes feel as if I am supposed to get more heated about these women in the media. Sex sells and women will continue to pose this way in magazines and dance provocatively in music videos. Should I feel less powerful as a woman because this does not bother me? I am more passionate about racial discrimination and sexual orientation equality than I am about the objectification of women. I guess we all have our platforms. I just sometimes wonder if it is supposed to bother me more than it does.

    ReplyDelete